By Wendy Woloshyn.
Summer is (almost) here, so it must be time for the Second Annual Kent/Connect Team (+ Family and Pets) Retreat! To truly give our Kelowna office folks a “retreat” experience, we decided to venture slightly west of last year’s location and congregate in Penticton for our weekend away.
Given the success of last year’s wine tour “main event”, there was significant consensus that more tasting was a must for 2018. And for those who were more inclined to relax and/or play outdoors, we also planned a day at the lake. (Sadly, the weather did not cooperate for the beach-goers, as rain and unusually cool temperatures kept them indoors. Luckily, there’s no shortage of fun things to do in Penticton, and a last minute trip to a couple of wineries and a creamery saved the day!).
The two day trip was short, but full – of laughs, good food, and delicious wine. It was also one more example of how much we all like each other – and how lucky we are to be able to say that!
Here are just a few high (and a couple of low) lights of #OkanaganRetreat2018:
• “Sock ninjas” (long story) and making new friends at Salty’s Beach House.
• 4:30 am (unscheduled) hotel wake-up calls.
• Gym and juice before a day of indulgence.
• Tom from Top Cat Tours, who kept us on-time and organized.
• Impossible wine quizzes at Ruby Blues Winery.
• Our incredible host at Moraine Winery, who accommodated all our varied tasting preferences with patience AND enthusiasm.
• Rhodesian Ridgebacks on the upstairs deck at Deep Roots Winery.
• All 40 of us dining together at the Hooded Merganser where the food and the view were surpassed only by the service.
• Simon and Marcus’ rescue of a duckling who fell into a storm sewer.
• A laid-back Day 2 which for some included walks through Penticton’s lovely downtown area and more wine (and cheese) tasting at Poplar Grove.
While the weather could have been better, the company more than made up for a few grey skies. Planning is well underway for #Retreat2019 – we are even thinking of a #WinterRetreat in the meantime – and we can’t wait for our next group getaway!