What are my rights if I’ve been wrongfully dismissed?

In British Columbia, an employee who is fired without “just cause” is generally entitled to notice of termination, severance pay, or a combination of both. The amount of notice or severance depends on the wording of any termination clause in your employment contract (if you have one), how long you have worked for your employer and, if no termination clause exists, factors such as your age and job position and the availability of similar employment.


Sign-up for our Newsletter

Want current, relevant updates on issues that matter to your workplace? Sign up to receive our monthly e-newsletter!

[ Sign-up for the eNewsletter ]